Re: Distributing Renaissance/GNUstep app's on OS X

From: Fletcher T. Penney
Subject: Re: Distributing Renaissance/GNUstep app's on OS X
Date: Sat, 14 Feb 2004 14:04:17 -0500

Uli Kusterer wrote:

( I am using the Ink.app example, so the binary file is Ink.app/Ink

 That sounds screwy. The binary should be at Ink.app/Contents/MacOS/Ink.

When built by make, that was where it put the binary... It did NOT put it in Contents/MacOS/Ink, with an alias at Ink.app/Ink... Perhaps a difference between make, and using Xcode??

Other projects built with Xcode DO place the binary inside Contents/MacOS....

Go figure...

Ummm... the *binaries* won't run on GNUstep. First the Mac version of Renaissance.framework links against Cocoa.framework, while on GNUstep you'd link against GNUstep.framework or something like that. Second, the executable format for Linux applications is not Mach-O. I think most of them use ELF, and anyway, most of them run on x86 (or Pentium <something>) CPUs.

I never suggested running the binaries crossplatform, just that the code would be cross-platform. I specifically mentioned that the code (and the framework) would have to compiled for the specific machine they would be run on.

In any event, I got it working, and will just have to keep in mind that the binary is located differently when built by make as compared to XCode. It seems as though the XCode method is correct, which will require making the changes as displayed on the web site, NOT my corrected version.

Alternatively, instead of making my changes, you could put the binary in Contents/MacOS and put an symlink as a placeholder inside the bundle...

Is this a known issue with simply building via GNUmakefile and make??

Thanks again for the pointers to the original web site!

F-

--

Fletcher T. Penney
http://fletcher.freeshell.org/

24 hours in a day, 24 beers in a case. Coincidence?
        - Steven Wright