Re: Distributing gnustep-based software

From: Adam Fedor
Subject: Re: Distributing gnustep-based software
Date: Fri, 4 Feb 2005 14:28:12 -0700

On Feb 4, 2005, at 1:14 PM, Alex Perez wrote:
Under Windows, at least, this could be theoretically possible. Wasn't there a patch to GNustep under win32 to make it use the timezone info in the windows registry by default? I seem to remember this...as for the character stuff, is this even really necessary under windows? With Windows, if you had all your DLLs and other libraries in one directory (not necessarily one EXE file, but just all of it in one directory) it and have built the application using mingw, the binary is native and as all native windows apps do, it should look in the current directory *FIRST* for DLLs.

Windows does use the registry by default (at least it's in the code, I've never personally tested it). In fact, it will use the system time zone information on any Unix system as well (if it can find it), although there are still a few time zone files that aren't normally distributed that are still needed.

Also, there was a patch submitted a long time ago to get rid of the use of environment variables for users (not developers). I had an interest in applying it, if it was re-written - but that never happened. If I ever get some free time I might try to rewrite it myself...

You still need the character stuff, though - perhaps changing things to fail gracefully would help.