Re: Distributing gnustep-based software

From: Gregory John Casamento
Subject: Re: Distributing gnustep-based software
Date: Fri, 4 Feb 2005 10:37:09 -0800 (PST)

See below,

--- Sébastien Pierre <sebastien-lists@type-z.org> wrote:

> Le 4 févr. 05, à 18:21, Richard Frith-Macdonald a écrit :
>
> >  do a clean install of make + base, then build and install my program
> > ... then I can make a tar image of the entire /usr/GNUstep tree (my
> > program will be in /usr/GNUstep/Local/Tools).
>
> This seems like a proper way to do what I want :)
> However, is there any method to determine unneeded files ? In fact, I
> would like to distribute my app under Linux, OSX and... Windows, and am
> really concerned about three things :
>
> 1/    Installation should be really straightforward, ideally something
> like "unpack here" (no environment variable required, or conflicts with
> existing GNUstep)

GNUSTEP requires certain evironment variables to be set, there's really no
getting around that.

> 2/    Size should be as small as possible. My app is around 1.2Mb on Intel
> and 2.4Mb on PPC (OSX)

Okay.

> 3/    Platform parity: I'm especially concerned about size/efficiency on
> Windows

Okay...  base works fine on Windows from what I've seen.

> Do you think these requirements could be satisfied ?

All but #1.  I'm confused, however, first you want avoid installing GNUstep
altogther (by linking with it statically), and then you want to install
GNUstep, even if the user currently has GNUstep, but you don't want to
interfere with thier installation of it.

Wouldn't it be easier to simply tell the user that your program requires
GNUstep and point them to the appropriate directions for installing it on their
system?

>   -- Sébastien
>
> --
> «Le soleil est Dieu»
> <http://www.type-z.org>             -- Turner, avant de mourir

GJC

=====
Gregory John Casamento
-- CEO/President Open Logic Corp. (A MD Corp.)
## Maintainer of Gorm (IB Equiv.) for GNUstep.