Re: Distributing gnustep-based software

From: Richard Frith-Macdonald
Subject: Re: Distributing gnustep-based software
Date: Fri, 4 Feb 2005 20:29:34 +0000

On 4 Feb 2005, at 20:14, Alex Perez wrote:
Under Windows, at least, this could be theoretically possible. Wasn't there a patch to GNustep under win32 to make it use the timezone info in the windows registry by default? I seem to remember this...as for the character stuff, is this even really necessary under windows?

Yes ... the character set data specifies what is in the standard NSCharacterSets

With Windows, if you had all your DLLs and other libraries in one directory (not necessarily one EXE file, but just all of it in one directory) it and have built the application using mingw, the binary is native and as all native windows apps do, it should look in the current directory *FIRST* for DLLs.

Richard, your thoughts? Is this possible? I think it surely is. Honestly, I think we need to be able to get gnustep-base to this point, where it's basically just a set of DLLs under Win32 that people can distribute with their app. This seems completely possible, but since most of the GNUstep developers don't use windows much, the tendency to just say "nope, can't be done, end of story, goodbye" seems recur over and over in an infinite loop.

Well, you need to distribute a few resource files as well as dlls, just like under unix. The gnustep code won't look for resources in the current directory (seems a bit insecure as a standard behavior) ... but it's trivial to haver a script set the environment variables up
so it knows where to get resources.

As I said, I see no problem distributing stuff in a package with an application ... I have done it as a solaris package and see no reason why it shouldn't work for windows too.