Re: Distributing gnustep-based software

From: Sébastien Pierre
Subject: Re: Distributing gnustep-based software
Date: Fri, 4 Feb 2005 19:56:22 +0100

Le 4 févr. 05, à 19:46, Richard Frith-Macdonald a écrit :

Ok, that's fair. I think I will dig the use of libFoundation and mgStep.

They aren't significantly smaller ... except where they lack functionality. You can configure gnustep to omit similar functionality and shrink it to
about the same footprint.  Depends what functionality you need.

I would prefer to stick with GNUstep, because it's maintained and up-to-date. However, I only need a small subset of the Foundation (NSString, NSArray, NSDictionnary, NSTask, NSInvocation, NSObject, NSProxy are the class I use most).

Anyway, I will try to make my own version of the gnustep-base, and see how to trim it to get a "fat-free" version of it, regarding to my modest applicative needs.

Thanks again for such a quality feedback :)

 -- Sébastien

--
«Too old to be alternative, too alternative to be old.»
<http://www.type-z.org> | Robert Smith, talking about his epitaph.