Re: pl2link error while installing application? [MacOS problem: SOLVED]

From: Daniel J Farrell
Subject: Re: pl2link error while installing application? [MacOS problem: SOLVED]
Date: Wed, 7 Jun 2006 02:03:17 +0100

Hi Adam,

IT WORKS!

Thanks for the link (http://www.gnustep.org/resources/documentation/ User/GNUstep/userfaq_1.html#SEC25) I didn't notice that this info was available. The problem does seem to be that when acting as sudo to install everything (as I have) the dynamic library path is cleared (for security reasons)!

The evidence for this is shown below (at the end).

That said could somebody clarify the advice given in the documentation (above link) as how to solve this problem when it says:

'...If you are becoming root to install something, you need to exec the GNUstep.sh file as root, just as you do when you login. Although for simplicity, you can also try this:
make LD_LIBRARY_PATH=$LD_LIBRARY_PATH ...'

1) Does executing GNUstep.sh via the .profile run the script as root during startup?
2) What does the make line do?

By the way on MacOS the dynamic library path variable is actually, DYLD_LIBRARY_PATH not LD_LIBRARY_PATH.

Conclusion (for future problems like this)

To get this to work I firstly changed to root (NOT sudo but root!):

Daniel$ sudo bash

I then entered the line as suggested (changed for MacOS by prefixing the 'DY'):

root# DYLD_LIBRARY_PATH=$DYLD_LIBRARY_PATH

then went, make and make install.

root# make
root# make install

Finally, I quit the terminal. Opened X11 window. Re-opened the terminal and typed:

Daniel$ openapp Affiche

Kind regards and many thanks for your help folk!

Daniel.

PS - terminal cut and pastes

---terminal snippet #1 running as user---
Daniel$ echo $DYLD_LIBRARY_PATH
/Users/Daniel/GNUstep/Library/Libraries:/opt/local/GNUstep/Local/ Library/Libraries:/opt/local/GNUstep/System/Library/Libraries

---terminal snippet #2 running as root---
Daniel$ sudo bash
DJF:~ root# echo $DYLD_LIBRARY_PATH

i.e. nothing!!