help-liquidwar6

Re: [Help-liquidwar6] Help making a second player locally -- did the fi

From: Christian Mauduit
Subject: Re: [Help-liquidwar6] Help making a second player locally -- did the first one get thru?
Date: Tue, 17 Nov 2009 22:49:58 +0100 (CET)

Hi,

On Tue, November 17, 2009 10:52 am, Andy Armstrong wrote:
> Thank you again for such a lengthy reply! All incredibly helpful
> information.
;)

> I have actually got the game compiling on demand inside Eclipse - in
> windows and ubuntu. The problem is - if I want to commit my code changes
> to an SVN repository - because eclipse builds everything even although a
> rebuild may not be necessary the application ends up committing like 500
> files each time you recompile - which is not really scalable. I cannot
> seem to use the svn:ignore list correctly in order to ignore .so .la. o
> .exe etc in order to stop those particular files from being committed.
FYI, the not so modern but yet-so-cool Makefile.am (automake+autoconf)
plumbery *does* support building in a separate tree. It might not work on
MS-Windows (if you can do it on a GNU/Linux box, things will go much much
smoother) but on any UNIXish platform, it will.

For instance to have sources in $HOME/src/liquidwar6, build in
$HOME/build/liquidwar6 and installed files in $HOME/local/liquidwar6 a
typicall command is:
$ cd $HOME/build/liquidwar6 && rm -rf
$ $HOME/src/liquidwar6/configure --prefix=$HOME/local/liquidwar6
$ make
$ ./src/liquidwar6 # run the game!

I don't know how this can help in Eclipse.

Another valuable information you might need is "what CFLAGS/LDFLAGS value
to use when compiling" (in other words, what options to pass to the
compiler). To know this, compile the game first with the traditionnal
./configure && make commands. Then running "./src/liquidwar6 --cflags" and
"./src/liquidwar6 --ldflags" will give you the right values. Some
libraries might be missing, but at least you'll get the "LW6_UNIX" and
other "basic" defines which are likely to be usefull, and sometimes even
mandatory to get the right behavior. As a side note "./src/liquidwar6
--pedigree" does show many things, some of which might interest you.
"--pedigree" is like "--version" on steroids ;)

> I may try and make a new menu option under rules for having two player
> controlled armies which are different colours - but will work
> co-operatively.
I started to think about it too. To make things "the right way" we would
need to have a 10x10 array that says "<color-x> is friend with <color-y>".
Adding options requires some manovers which are not that complicated but
will take ages to explain for the lazy guy I am ;) More seriously, I think
you should go for a quick hack, just do something that works regardless of
how "clean" it is. Then it will be time for me to patch the main trunk in
a more pedantic way, but I do think you should not, at least for now,
bother with that. Just patch, even hard-code what you need, then report
how the new gameplay feels! Sometimes, there are surprises. Both bad and
good.

> I am happy to also write up a guide on how I got LW6 compiling under
> Eclipse. So do you use any repository software for the project? I would
> love to know how you got it setup!
I use GNU Arch.

http://www.gnu.org/software/liquidwar6/manual/html_node/Using-GNU-Arch.html

FYI I filed a "task" describing briefly your idea:
https://savannah.gnu.org/task/index.php?9919

This is just not to forget it in the long run ;)

Christian.

--
Christian Mauduit <address@hidden> - http://www.ufoot.org/ ___ __/\__
Liquid War 6 - http://www.gnu.org/software/liquidwar6/     / _")\~ \~/