RE: auto-dep cannot possibly work?

From: Mark Galeck (CW)
Subject: RE: auto-dep cannot possibly work?
Date: Mon, 16 Nov 2009 17:00:26 -0800

>Mark, I applaud your goal of trying to get make to behave properly in
all cases. However, once you have the -I paths knocked out, does your
approach also work for -L and libraries? What about for programs that
aren't gcc? What happens when you have a Makefile that builds
libfoo.a, but you realize 'foo' is already trademarked so you change
it to 'libbar.a'? Will all those other Makefiles that still reference
libfoo.a report an error? Or will it silently succeed because libfoo.a
still exists in the filesystem, and once again leave the mess for the
next clean build?

Well I don't know if you are being sarcastic, possibly, I don't get these
things, so I will assume you are not :)

OK, for libraries, there is nothing to do for auto-dependencies. For libraries,
the user has to make sure -L paths are specified properly, and the libraries
are listed as necessary.  The developers can update the makefile as needed, I
only am trying to get started the include-file autodependency.