RE: auto-dep cannot possibly work?

From: Paul Smith
Subject: RE: auto-dep cannot possibly work?
Date: Mon, 16 Nov 2009 21:57:14 -0500

On Mon, 2009-11-16 at 12:06 -0800, Mark Galeck (CW) wrote:
> Hmm, perhaps I did not explain myself carefully enough.  The
> dependencies are generated, following the scheme from the GNU manual
> and other sources, when the .o file is built, to be used next time the
> question comes up whether the .o needs to be rebuilt.

Ah, I see.  I was confused by the bit I quoted from your earlier
message:

> > I think this is an elegant solution - notice how it not only solves
> > this bizarre problem, but also notice how nicely it takes care of the
> > catch-22 that happens if the user deletes include/foobar.h.

The comment about "taking care of the catch-22" led me to believe you
were not using the existing well-known method to solve the
removed/renamed header file problem, but were instead expecting the
$(wildcard ...) method to "take care" of that problem as well.

In fact, the extra $(wildcard ...) statements have no impact, for good
or ill, on the remove/rename issue.  Unless I've confused something
again.