Re: [help-texinfo] Want curly braces around key sequences (Was: Overfull

From: Eli Zaretskii
Subject: Re: [help-texinfo] Want curly braces around key sequences (Was: Overfull vbox in Concept Index leads to a blank page in the middle of the index)
Date: Sun, 03 Jul 2016 06:42:36 +0300

> Date: Sat, 2 Jul 2016 21:39:34 GMT
> From: Karl Berry <address@hidden>
>
> I'd just like to mention that your preferred convention of surrounding
> key sequences with braces is perfectly reasonable on its own, but it's
> unlike any other GNU Emacs (or GNU in general) documentation.  (Which is
> why Texinfo doesn't support it directly.)
>
> If hyperbole users are most likely not reading anything else, that's
> fine, but if they might be looking at the Emacs (or Info or ...)
> documentation, it seems like it could be rather confusing.  As in
> wondering why hyperbole's key sequences are always surrounded by braces,
> does that make them different from Emacs key sequences, if they're
> supposed to type the braces, etc.

I fully agree, FWIW.  Deviating from accepted standards is not a good
idea, as it will interfere with reading the manual, especially when a
manual is used as a reference, without reading all of its introductory
parts, where this notation is probably explained.

So I recommend to stick with the standard markup.