Re: [help-texinfo] Want curly braces around key sequences (Was: Overfull

From: Robert Weiner
Subject: Re: [help-texinfo] Want curly braces around key sequences (Was: Overfull vbox in Concept Index leads to a blank page in the middle of the index)
Date: Tue, 5 Jul 2016 12:40:22 -0400

On Tue, Jul 5, 2016 at 12:23 PM, Eli Zaretskii <address@hidden> wrote:
>> From: Robert Weiner <address@hidden>
>> On a topic like this, if you really care
>> about it, we would ask that you look at and try out Hyperbole before
>> finalizing your own judgement on this.
>
> Sorry, what does that have to do with Hyperbole the program?  I can
> get the impression from the docs without using the program itself,
> right?

You will have an idea of the benefit.  Since part of the benefit is
interactive, you may get an even better idea by interacting with
Hyperbole.

> Using the same notation in all formats necessarily means you aim at
> the lowest common denominator, i.e. you lose some of the nice
> capabilities of the more capable formats.

I don't see how that applies in this case.  Nothing is lost in any of
the formats.

>> > Any reasons Hyperbole couldn't be taught to recognize any other
>> > format, including the standard Texinfo one?
>> Hyperbole could recognize the delimiters
>> and usage if they were specific enough but I would suggest that single
>> quotes are not, i.e. 'C-x o'

> Key sequences are telltale enough to be able to distinguish them, I
> think.

Yes, Hyperbole does test for a current key binding and only recognizes
the key sequence if it is currently bound.  See below.

>> >  If not, does that mean
>> > Hyperbole doesn't support key sequences documented by other GNU
>> > packages?
>>
>> Yes, it means you cannot activate key bindings with a mouse click from
>> other GNU documentation.  But lots of other Hyperbole functionality
>> works for GNU packages and documentation.
>
> That's a serious downside, IMO.  GNU packages should help each other.

I will add support to the next version of Hyperbole for activating key
sequences within other Info manuals browsed within Emacs
and we will see if there are any issues with this or not.

Bob