Re: [help-texinfo] Want curly braces around key sequences (Was: Overfull

From: Robert Weiner
Subject: Re: [help-texinfo] Want curly braces around key sequences (Was: Overfull vbox in Concept Index leads to a blank page in the middle of the index)
Date: Sun, 3 Jul 2016 08:05:56 -0400

On Sun, Jul 3, 2016 at 6:49 AM, Gavin Smith <address@hidden> wrote:
> I tested it and single quotes don't appear.

You are right.  I had brought up the wrong file.  This works well.
Thanks much; it makes things much easier.

With regard to this markup being different than the GNU standard, yes,
that is true.  It started almost 20 years ago because I didn't feel
that a font change was a strong enough setoff for distinguishing key
bindings from surrounding text in printed manuals and because Texinfo
used different key binding markup for different output formats, making
it inconsistent as you switched formats.

Surrounding key sequences with braces is easily explained at the
beginning of a manual in half a sentence, looks better visually to me
(sets off key sequences better leading to more/faster
readability/recognition) and I suspect some others, has worked well
for about two decades now and is now exactly consistent across all of
the output formats we use.  I have never seen anyone be confused by
it.  Maybe one day the GNU project will even consider doing it but
even if not, it is not a barrier to entry and we have never heard from
a reader of any of our manuals on this topic prior to this discussion.
But I appreciate the feedback and will keep it in mind.

Bob