Re: No title in HTML output

From: Jean-Christophe Helary
Subject: Re: No title in HTML output
Date: Sat, 01 Jun 2024 23:53:57 +0000

> On Jun 1, 2024, at 19:09, Patrice Dumas <pertusus@free.fr> wrote:
>
> On Sat, Jun 01, 2024 at 03:53:36AM +0000, Jean-Christophe Helary wrote:
>> I'm wondering why the following texinfo tags do not produce visible
>> output in HTML:
>>
>> @settitle
>> @copying
>> @titlepage
>>
>> I can see that the info is buried in <meta> tags with the @settitle
>> contents appearing inside <title>, but it seems to me that such
>> information, especially since Texinfo is designed for manuals, should
>> be prominently displayed as <h1> and as a small paragraph below it.
>
> For copying, if the corresponding text is to be output, @insertcopying
> should be used.
>
> For @settitle and @titlepage, in the default case they are indeed not
> visible on the first page, with the rationale that for an online format
> such as HTML, it is best to directly find the output, "By default the
> HTML output is tailored for online viewing with a direct access to the
> information at the Top node." (quoting from the development version
> manual).
>
> There is, however, some customization variables to get a title in HTML.
> First, you can set NO_TOP_NODE_OUTPUT to remove the Top node, if this
> what you want, it should add a title based on @titlepage or @settitle.
> Second, you can set SHOW_TITLE to get a title with the Top node output.
>
> For example
>
> texi2any --html -c NO_TOP_NODE_OUTPUT=1 mymanual.texi

Thank you Patrice, that was very useful. I have HTML output that looks
nice now, and I modified the texi so that the PDF looks good too.

Now, I have footnotes and they appear after a "Footnotes" title even
though I have:

@documentlanguage fr_FR
@documentencoding utf-8

in my headings.

Is there a way to fix that?

> As a side note, in the upcoming version Texinfo manual, these
> customizations should be much better described.

Nice to know.

--
Jean-Christophe Helary
@jchelary@emacs.ch