koha-devel

Re: [Koha-devel] I will not give up untill someone...

From: Chris Cormack
Subject: Re: [Koha-devel] I will not give up untill someone...
Date: Sun Sep 28 13:51:05 2003

On Mon, 2003-09-29 at 06:13, Benedykt wrote:
> ...untill someone gives me an explicit reason why we do not have a
> localization of koha the way it is suggested on the web (cpan.org).

Hi Benedykt.

Ok, the templates serve more than localisation purposes, thats why we
are using them.
They allow people to customise a lot more.

> Namely, I have read through some modules in cpan directory and have
> found this:
>
> Locale::PO Manipulate .po entries from gettext
> Locale::Maketext Framework for software localization
> Locale::gettext Multilanguage messages
> Locale::PGetText What GNU gettext does, written in pure perl
>
> Now, I am wondering whether any of the above modules would be fit to
> be implemented in koha project. Is it to late to even think about it?

Nope it sure isnt. It is too late to think about it for koha 2.0. But
there is no reason we cant have a discussion with all the developers
post release and decide to work on a gettext solution to help with
translation.

We wont get rid of the templates, since the templates allow you to
change much much more than language strings. But we might want to
suplement their use with using gettext modules.

> Right now, as I see it, for every theme in same language one needs
> redundant and complete language strings in each file. A gettext like
> solution might save a bit of work in the future.

Yep you are right. For those templates whose only difference is
language, using gettext will save some time.

Chris
--
Chris Cormack                                      Katipo Communications
Programmer                                         www.katipo.co.nz