koha-devel

Re: [Koha-devel] Serials (next translation questions...)

From: Stephen Hedges
Subject: Re: [Koha-devel] Serials (next translation questions...)
Date: Thu Aug 5 09:26:01 2004

Paul POULAIN said:
> In french, for a given subscription (=abonnement), you wait for
> effective items. Repeated items are called "bulletins" (= explains the
> word "bulletinage" -see previous post-)
> What word should we use in english ? Items is very poor, as it's used
> for something else.
> In french, "numéro" is a synonym for "bulletin", and can be translated
> by "number". I think number is poor in english too.

In the US, libraries have "subscriptions" to "periodicals."  For
periodicals like news magazines, it's common to refer to individual
"issues," as in "the May 15 2004 issue of Time magazine."  Most
periodicals are also numbered, with a volume (usually refering to a year
of issues) and a number (refering to an individual issue.  So the May 15
2004 issue of Time magazine may be "volume 12, number 18" and the next
week's issue would be "volume 12, number 19," etc. (And the May 15 2005
issue will be "volume 13, number 18," etc.)

> still in french, a "bulletin" that is late and will never arrive is
> called "lacune". I don't know the exact translation, but is "missing" OK ?

sounds OK, though "not received" may be clearer -- "missing" could mean it
arrived, but the library lost it.

> A "bulletin" that is late will be marked "late". Is this word correct ?

I'd say yes.

> A "bulletin" that should arrive soon is marked "waited" (= ie : is
> planned, but not yet late). Is it correct ?

maybe "pending" would be better.

Stephen

--
Stephen Hedges