koha-devel

Re: [Koha-devel] Ideas for next releases (2.4 ?) - project organisation

From: address@hidden
Subject: Re: [Koha-devel] Ideas for next releases (2.4 ?) - project organisation
Date: Fri Aug 20 00:46:03 2004

Eyler, Patrick wrote:

Tim O'Reilly talked a lot about web services, platforms, and social software in
his keynote, and there were some ideas that seemed to make sense for the Koha
world (especially in light of discussions on oss4lib about modularizing the
ILS).

  Web Services for users/clients:
reviews/ranking  (this is a nice bit of participatory social software too)
search
patron info
reserves
reading club (or similar) tools

  Web Services to make use of (from other sources):
amazon reviews/ranking
amazon buying circle info
ibiblio
cddb
imdb

I certainly feel, as a librarian, that Web Services are the way forward for ILSs. For users, as you pointed out, but also for librarians. It might allow us to go beyond Z3950 to implement SRW/SRU (see http://www.ariadne.ac.uk/issue40/morgan/). It might also allow us to have a system more easily integrated in an environment which looks seamless to the user: for example, when he logs in the College web site, he gets informations about new books at the library waiting for him, even though he is not logged in Koha, nor even on the library web site. I think it might allow us all sort of things actually.
Nicolas