koha-devel

Re: [Koha-devel] Re: distributed VCS, some thoughts.

From: Jerry Van Baren
Subject: Re: [Koha-devel] Re: distributed VCS, some thoughts.
Date: Mon, 19 Mar 2007 12:21:23 -0400

Yes, for a pull to happen, the repository must be publicly accessible (i.e. on the internet). The best way is via the git port 9418, the other way is via port 80 using http: (I presume 443 https: works too, have not tried). Unfortunately, many IT departments block all ports except 80 and 443 (including ssh, grrrrr). Depending on what an individual developer has to work with (what the IT department provides for access), publishing a local repository can be difficult or impossible. Pushing is generally (exclusively?) done via ssh so unenlightened/uncooperative IT departments can be a problem for pushing as well (cvs/svn have the same problem).

What Wolfgang Denk did for u-boot is to set up a bunch of feeder repositories on his company's server and give the feeder developers ssh access so that they could push their local repositories to the main server, at which point the world can pull from the main repository and any feeder repositories that they need.
  <http://www.denx.de/wiki/UBoot/Custodians>
I presume that is similar to what the primary linux kernel developers have on <http://git.kernel.org/>, but better organized. The u-boot feeder repositories is a fairly new development. It has been working well so far...

Having all the feeder repositories collected in one place for ease of reference is ideal. Since git is a distributed SCM, all your eggs are in everybodys' baskets (repo clones) so this is not a problem.

Obviously, this takes some effort to set up and a host (like koha.org) to run it on.

HTH,
gvb

Kyle Hall wrote:
Thanks for the extra information. Just on a technical note, let's say I e-mail you and say 'pull the changes I've made from my local repository into yours', this means that I have to have my work pc publicly available. I assume that git has a certain port it works on. Is that correct?

Kyle