koha-devel

Re: [Koha-devel] Discussion concerning the possible use of M::B rather t

From: MJ Ray
Subject: Re: [Koha-devel] Discussion concerning the possible use of M::B rather than EU::MM for Koha installation
Date: Wed, 14 Nov 2007 12:03:15 +0000

"Chris Nighswonger" <address@hidden> wrote:
> [...] I am wondering if there are any issues holding
> us back from switching to M::B? The port should not be too difficult
> and would only require that the installer have M::B installed on their
> system.
>
> Any thoughts?

You've identified the blocking problem: Module::Build would need to be
installed before the koha installer could even run.  Would that defeat
install-CPAN.pl instantly?

The second concern is that I've seen one other web app using M::B,
LedgerSMB, and I've seen some problem reports with that, but maybe I
misunderstand the causes.  Also, I think the packaging systems just
ignore it and do the installation directly.  After the complexity of
the 2.x installer, I'd like to avoid that and have the koha installer
driving the package installers.

Are there web applications using M::B successfully?

That's not an absolute requirement - I've not found another web app
using MakeMaker quite as we do, but at least it's everywhere that perl
is - but it would help immensely in solving the harder parts.

Hope that helps,