koha-zebra

Re: [Koha-zebra] Perl Zoom Persistent Connections

From: Sebastian Hammer
Subject: Re: [Koha-zebra] Perl Zoom Persistent Connections
Date: Sat, 20 Aug 2005 10:23:54 -0400

At 04:18 AM 8/20/2005 +0200, Thomas D wrote:
I assume that if the authentication is collective for the client institution
with all client users users sharing the same persistent connection at the
client institution, the user specific authentication issue should be avoided.

Is this cookie ID based connection persistence entirely transparent without
requiring management in PHP/YAZ or other bindings?  I do not find any
documentation for the ID or cookie management.

Yes. You just set the cookie as a parameter when calling yaz_connect. The behavior of the proxy is described in http://www.indexdata.dk/yazproxy/doc/proxy-keepalive.tkl.

Mind you, while the proxy can increase performance *dramatically* against many targets, it generally doesn't do much for performance against Zebra, because it already does most things pretty fast.

Will the forthcoming Perl Zoom bindings support persistent connections,
either shared or user specific?

It will 'inherit' all of the functionality of YAZ/ZOOM.

I had given reasons that I had thought that persistent connections were
useful with even one user retrieving large result sets in my previous post
on a different branch of this thread.

If Zebra is the backend engine, they would have to be extremely large before you noticed a difference. The latest Zebra supports various optimizations of boolean queries, etc., which further reduce the benefits of statefull sessions.

But the beauty of the proxy is that you can develop your application without it, simply develop your app as if it were stateless (re-submit query for every request for more records).. then, if you see a need to optimize the setup later, inserting the proxy into the loop requires not more than a line or two of code changes to your application.. the proxy will optimize away repeated searches and simply turn them into 'present' requests against an existing result set.

--Sebastian

--
Sebastian Hammer, Index Data, www.indexdata.com
Direct phone: (603) 209-6853 Fax: (603) 357-1813