libreplanet-ca-on

Re: [lp-ca-on] Microblogs for Software Freedom Day

From: Matt Lee
Subject: Re: [lp-ca-on] Microblogs for Software Freedom Day
Date: Tue, 4 Aug 2015 15:49:52 -0400

I will say that GNU social and the federated network around it might
not be enough for Software Freedom Day.

I don't post on GNU social with anywhere near the frequency I post on
Twitter, because the audience for the two is currently very different.

If you want to talk about free software, GNU social is by far one of
the best places to do it. But if you want to talk about anything else,
and sometimes even free software falls into this category, Twitter has
a richer and more diverse crowd of people.

Anecdotal, but if you ask for help using something like GNOME 3 or
getting an iPod to work with a fully free GNU/Linux system on both
networks, you'll get a lot of people telling you that you shouldn't do
that on GNU social and on Twitter you might actually get help.

I think GNU social is a great tool, and I think it can do a lot of
good for a community, but for the wider world I'm not so sure.