libreplanet-ca-on

Re: [lp-ca-on] Microblogs for Software Freedom Day

From: Bob Jonkman
Subject: Re: [lp-ca-on] Microblogs for Software Freedom Day
Date: Tue, 4 Aug 2015 02:23:10 -0400

I've only skimmed the conversation -- it's getting pretty late to go
in depth. Please forgive me if I'm repeating points already made, or
if I'm contradicting them.

If we don't use the social networks where people already are, how do
we deliver the message?

There has been a lot of speculation on people's behaviour: Will or
won't people see SFD messages on Twitter and subscribe there only?
Will or won't people actually follow through on Twitter messages
crafted to guide people to FLOSS social media even though doing so is
awkward and more work? Will or won't people think less of us by using
proprietary services?

To answer those questions we need evidence.  Let's not jump to any
conclusions until we have such evidence, and let's make some efforts
to gather that evidence.  So far we only have one @SFDToronto account
on a proprietary social media. We can create a second one (maybe
@SoftwareFreedomTO), then give the full proprietary treatment to one,
and only the restricted treatment (as described in previous messages)
t to the other. Let's see which one is more successful. Of course, in
order to determine "successful" we need to figure out what our goal is..

We're all Free Software folks. Even without rigid definitions we all
understand that some social media services are more or less FAIF than
others.  I'd put Twitter as least proprietary (good API, all messages
are publicly visible), Facebook second (good API, but some messages
hidden to non-subscribers) and Google last (lousy or no API, hidden
messages).  Also, we all have different comfort levels with
proprietary solutions. So, those people who prefer to avoid anything
to do with proprietary social networks don't have to participate in
those accounts, whereas those of us with less moral certitude can take
on the dirty work.

Finally, the two accounts I set up are intended for Software Freedom
Day. While this year LibrePlanet Ontario is putting on that event,
other years it could be put on by HackLab.TO or @TorontoCrypto. If so,
I expect to hand over those accounts to that year's organizers.

Still, it's valuable to have these discussions now, just in case
someone gets the bright idea to create a @LibrePlanetON Twitter
account or a https://facebook.com/LibrePlanetOntario page... (which we
may want to do anyway to avoid someone else with ulterior motives
taking over such a page).

- --Bob.