Re: [libreplanet-discuss] Minetest server [was: Gaming Collective: Hoste

From: Mark Holmquist
Subject: Re: [libreplanet-discuss] Minetest server [was: Gaming Collective: Hosted server]
Date: Fri, 06 Jul 2012 22:52:34 -0700

Mark: we're going to need a proper package built of the version that
you're running. Which Linux distro are you running? Are there pre-built
development packages or is there an easy way to automate this? I notice
that there's a Windows version and there are Ubuntu and Arch development
packages in the downloads section of the website. Are those version
behind your development version?

Thanks for the reply, Rudolf! I'm running the testing repos for Debian GNU/Linux on the server. I've never worried about packaging, but I'm sure there are packages for 0.3 releases, though probably not for the latest versions, which have a lot more features and a modding API.

The website has downloads for "stable", 0.3, and "dev", 0.4. I run the bleeding edge from the git repository, and it's almost always behaved.

You need that much hardware just to handle ~20 connections? How much latency
are you experiencing with that setup and is it possible to use clusters/cloud
hosting to host this?

I haven't done a lot of testing from external connections, but the 20 connections was my lower bound for absolute confidence--I'm pretty sure you could do upwards of 30 on the hardware I specified, which is quite a lot.

What's the cost of the setup? What's the cost of bandwidth?

The hardware is an old throwaway from my family, so it was 0 for me, and I'm running it on my home network, so there's zero additional cost for bandwidth. Probably draws a bit of extra power, but the same hardware runs my website, so it would be up anyway.

I'm not sure about numbers, nor am I sure about how to go about soliciting donations. I suspect that the FSF has a good way to do it already set up.

Cheers,

--
Mark Holmquist
Contractor, Wikimedia Foundation