Re: [libreplanet-discuss] Free Software CD for Windows?

From: Michael Dorrington
Subject: Re: [libreplanet-discuss] Free Software CD for Windows?
Date: Mon, 03 Dec 2012 20:55:48 +0000

On 02/12/12 20:38, Gustavo C. M. wrote:
> Just an exercise of making distinctions:
>
>> For example, the owner of an "Internet Cafe" could offer the use of
>> Free Software on machines that the users do not own.
>> Since the software is not being distributed, the GNU GPL does not come
>> into effect.
>
> It comes; it's just that it's "propagation", not "conveying", of a
> "covered work".

Stop.

If only there was a FAQ on the GPL:
http://www.gnu.org/licenses/gpl-faq.html

I would say the Internet Cafe would be similar to the "Laptop Loan" (but
this is not legal advice and I am not a lawyer):
http://www.gnu.org/licenses/gpl-faq.html#LaptopLoan

There is also an explanation of the terms propagate and convey:
http://www.gnu.org/licenses/gpl-faq.html#WhyPropagateAndConvey

If you do come up with one or more questions (preferably with answers)
then could you try to get the FSF to add them to this FAQ (or another FAQ).

Carry on. :)

Regards,
Mike.

--