Re: [libreplanet-discuss] [Trisquel-users] Final Thesis: H-node

From: Fabian Rodriguez
Subject: Re: [libreplanet-discuss] [Trisquel-users] Final Thesis: H-node
Date: Fri, 10 May 2013 17:16:34 -0400

On 2013-05-10 13:15, mattij.lammi@kolumbus.fi wrote:
> I just wanted to let you guys know that I am writing my final thesis about
> h-node. It is almost ready
and it is going to be published in one or two weeks from now.

Hello Mrij, this is excellent news. Thank you for sharing it here with
the Trisquel users. I'd suggest you also join the LibrePlanet activists
lists if you haven't already:
http://libreplanet.org/wiki/Group:LibrePlanet_Activists

I've copied (CC) that list on this reply.

> I'm finalizing my IT engineering studies in Kemi-Tornio University of
Applied Sciences in Finland. As a part of my studies, I'm writing a
final thesis about h-node (in English). More spesificaly, I aim to
introduce h-node and its ethical free software background to new users.
I also present various ways how to contribute to h-node and also some
results of my own contributions.

> My studies include a mandatory practical training period which I spent
fixing broken computers in a small IT shop. While working there, I had a
chance (and my employer's permission) to test and report as many working
devices to h-node as I could. According to my calculations, I managed to
add about 100 new laptops to h-node during that time.

> While writing my final thesis, I contacted the h-node's main developer
by e-mail. He was very supportive and gave me information I needed. He
also suggested that I should notice FSF about my thesis. What do you think?

> My thesis is going to be published soon under a free lisence (some
creative commons lisence if I recall). It will be available as a pdf on
my school's final thesis database. I can post the link here if you guys
are interested.

> I don't know my final grade yet but my instructor said it is going to
be better than a 3 (5=awesome, 4=good, 3=avarage, 2=below avarage,
1=pass and 0=fail).

Thanks a lot for your contributions to h-node! I am an FSF member (not
staff), but I believe publishing under a Creative Commons licence
wouldn't be considered free, specially if there is a "non-commercial"
use restriction. Perhaps other can provide a better opinion here.

I would definitely be interested in reading it, so please do share a
link to it (and if possible, the source to the document).

Cheers,

Fabian Rodriguez
Montreal, Canada

- --