Re: [libreplanet-discuss] GFDL with Invariant Sections or other unmodifi

From: Michael Dorrington
Subject: Re: [libreplanet-discuss] GFDL with Invariant Sections or other unmodifiable parts. Was: Final Thesis: H-node
Date: Sun, 19 May 2013 17:04:30 +0100

On 19/05/13 16:50, systemsaviour.com wrote:
> On 20/05/13 01:08, Michał 'rysiek' Woźniak wrote:
[...]
>> Ask and ye shall receive:
>> http://rys.io/en/101.txt
>

> The part above that got cut out in the [...] was when Michael said:
>
> "I posted in December 2012 and January 2013 to this list about how
> including manuals which are under the GFDL with Invariant Sections or
> other unmodifiable parts (which is similar to a CC with ND licence) in a
> distribution makes that distribution non-free."
>
> Yet the document you posted only covers points specific to CC-*-ND and
> GNU Verbatim licenses.
>
> For the licenses in question, I agree with many of your points. However,
> those are entirely different beasts to the GFDL, which is the license
> that seems more commonly used for software documentation in GNU/Linux
> distributions. I don't see any of your concerns take issue with anything
> the GFDL does, given the strict limitations placed on non-variant sections.

Really?  That doesn't make sense to me.  You don't see any of the
article's concerns take issue with anything the GFDL does?  How about "I
DON'T WANT MY WORK TWISTED!" and "SOME WORKS SHOULD BE INVARIANT!" where
he argues these are invalid reasons to use a no derivatives licence
(such as GFDL with Invariant Sections or other unmodifiable part).
Actually, how about the whole article he posted.

I'd like know why you think GFDL with Invariant Sections or other
unmodifiable parts is good for free software manuals and yet for the
article posted you "agree with many of your [its] points".

> In any case, let's make sure we don't confuse licenses.

I recommend re-reading what he posted.

Regards,
Mike.

--