Re: [libreplanet-discuss] Proposal for "FUD responses" wiki pages

From: Daniel Pocock
Subject: Re: [libreplanet-discuss] Proposal for "FUD responses" wiki pages
Date: Mon, 29 Feb 2016 10:54:20 +0100

On 29/02/16 10:33, Fabio Pesari wrote:
> On 02/29/2016 10:10 AM, Daniel Pocock wrote:
>>
>> Back to the theme of making the rebuttals conversational, another good
>> one could be:
>>
>> "Companies don't like the GPL"
>>
>> "Isn't that a good sign that the GPL is good for you as a user of
>> technology?  Would you really expect companies to like a license that
>> gives you choice and control?"
>
> "No, what's good for me as a user is a program that just works,
> regardless if it's GPL or not."

"Have you ever had a program that didn't just work exactly the way you
wanted though?"

"If a program appears to `just work' but has a data leak, is it really
working?"

> Also, your answer assumes companies to be inherently evil, a position
> which most people don't share (most people actually _love_ Apple and
> Google).

It is not an "answer", it is just a way to engage in discussion by using
questions

I agree that directly attacking brands or companies is not helpful,
unless the user has already said something to indicate they don't like
the company.