Re: [libreplanet-discuss] We need a Great campaign To tell the programme

From: Tobias Platen
Subject: Re: [libreplanet-discuss] We need a Great campaign To tell the programmers to improve their programs To work well with the screen Reader
Date: Tue, 22 Mar 2016 20:23:57 +0100

On 03/22/2016 07:46 PM, Fabio Pesari wrote:
All this information is great, Ali. I think the fact that blind users
can operate a *libre* distro like Trisquel speaks volumes about how far
free software has gotten, even compared to proprietary software.

I have a few other questions, if you don't mind. What about window
management? Which desktop environment is better suited for a blind user,
GNOME, Unity, KDE, XFCE, LXDE or something else?

Are tiled window managers better for blind users? How can a blind person
tell which window or workspace he or she is using?

Also, are any specific GUI toolkits that aren't GTK or Qt (like Tk,
FLTK, JUCE, Swing or wxWidgets) problematic for blind users?

What programming language is better suited for blind programmers? I
would think indentation in Python would make things hard for blind
coders, and in some languages like Ruby the case of words matters.

Also, some music programs (shout out to Guitarix, for guitar effects and
amp modelling) use OpenGL to draw directly to the screen. That's a big
problem, right?

Lots of music programs are not accessable, because all is graphical. There are some instrument plugins that can run the DSP without a graphical interface, but often there is no way to control parameters using the keyboard only. Others such as lilypond and supercollider are purely nongraphical.

--
Sent from my Libreboot X200