Re: [libreplanet-discuss] helping newcomers start blogs - but where?

From: J.B. Nicholson
Subject: Re: [libreplanet-discuss] helping newcomers start blogs - but where?
Date: Thu, 17 Aug 2017 17:25:43 -0500

Daniel Pocock wrote:
blogger.com and wordpress are well known platforms for people to create free blogs. Github pages have also become popular with developers
recently.

What are the recommended alternatives for people who want to adhere to
a more free / libre approach?

If you're hosting something on someone else's computer, I recommend picking hosting based in either something that carries no nonfree software requirement (I think there are multiple template-based blog programs that let you process a plaintext file and turn it into a blog post) or something that runs with free software client-side software (I'd look into WordPress to see if the software they send to the client is free because there are multiple places that host blogs with WordPress).

But there's not going to be a great solution to this until people can get their own domains, point them at their own box running in their home (ala FreedomBox), and host their blogs under their control.

Any third-party hosting can run aground of censorship -- find yourself saying something other people don't want to read? Recent events at Cloudflare[1] show us that claims to not "monitor, evaluate or judge" quickly become "I woke up this morning in a bad mood and decided to kick them [Daily Stormer] off the Internet.". Quite a ways from Noam Chomsky's wisdom and challenge[2] to those who think stopping publication of disliked messages is the right way to go.

I recommend buying one's own domain (for easily redirecting users to a new blog hoster without making users change their bookmarks) and hosting with someplace that hasn't yet censored someone's blog. The problem is I'm not quite sure which organizations to recommend on this right now.

[1] https://torrentfreak.com/cloudflare-kicking-daily-stormer-is-bad-news-for-pirate-sites-170817/

[2] "Goebbels was in favor of free speech for views he liked. So was Stalin. If you're really in favor of free speech, then you're in favor of freedom of speech for precisely the views you despise. Otherwise, you're not in favor of free speech."