Re: [libreplanet-discuss] helping newcomers start blogs - but where?

From: James McFarland
Subject: Re: [libreplanet-discuss] helping newcomers start blogs - but where?
Date: Fri, 18 Aug 2017 13:57:01 -0400

On Thu, Aug 17, 2017, at 17:01, John Rooke wrote:
> On Thu, 2017-08-17 at 19:57 +0200, klez wrote:
>
> > Honest question: what's the problem with Wordpress? Don't they use a
> > full free software stack?
>
> Just giving this a nudge.  I'd like to know the answer too.
> John

I recommend Ghost also, my expectation is that once setup, it is the
easiest authoring environment one could want, using the simple markdown
syntax - in fact, one could simple author without using any formatting
at all - to keep things simple.

ghost.org should have all the information you need.

It is open source software with the source code available on github, and
it is licensed under the MIT License
See: https://github.com/TryGhost/Ghost/blob/master/LICENSE

To minimize monetary costs, there is a self-hosting guide here:
https://docs.ghost.org/v1.0.0/docs/getting-started-guide

If you have time before your event, you could likely host all the ghost
blogs for all participants on a small computer (laptop) or raspberry pi
(please check the licenses for the OS on these machines to be sure they
meet your needs).

You might also consider getting the participants started quickly at your
event by using the Ghost Desktop app - which could enable them to begin
writing at the event, and post to the public internet afterwards - the
desktop app is also MIT licensed.
See: https://github.com/TryGhost/Ghost-Desktop

Further, Ghost is a very open-source friendly not for profit group of
folks that would likely be very happy and responsive to a direct contact
from you to get their input on how to best organize your efforts with
Ghost for your event and follow-on goals.

If you decide to contact ghost, would you please post a brief summary of
their response on the list?

Very interested to know if my expectations are rational.

Thanks,
-james

--
  James McFarland