[libreplanet-discuss] Taking credit for your own choices and free softwa

From: J.B. Nicholson
Subject: [libreplanet-discuss] Taking credit for your own choices and free software is neither anti-commercial nor anti-profit
Date: Sun, 15 Sep 2019 21:35:50 -0500

Steven Sullam wrote:
WTF? I became interested in the libre group as a more human alternative to commercial profit driven technology. I am not interesed in reading discussions of Richard Stallman's personal life or the lack of ethics in his personal behavior here.

Then you should probably have chosen to not read more of this thread when you realized you didn't want to read more of it.

However since you're apparently reading this thread, you should know that humans engage in commercial profit-driven enterprises all the time, including developing free software. In fact, Richard Stallman "encourage[s] people who redistribute free software to charge as much as they wish or can":

Many people believe that the spirit of the GNU Project is that you
should not charge money for distributing copies of software, or that you
should charge as little as possible—just enough to cover the cost. This
is a misunderstanding.

Actually, we encourage people who redistribute free software to charge
as much as they wish or can. If a license does not permit users to make
copies and sell them, it is a nonfree license. If this seems surprising
to you, please read on.

You can read the rest of that essay at https://www.gnu.org/philosophy/selling.html