Re: [libreplanet-discuss] Why stay or start an FSF membership? To keep f

From: Leah Rowe
Subject: Re: [libreplanet-discuss] Why stay or start an FSF membership? To keep funding software freedom.
Date: Sun, 22 Sep 2019 02:33:16 +0100

Those are the legalities.

Human beings exist outside the law. We are not perfect. This is why we
need to be vigilant, to make sure that the movement is never
corrupted.

This smear campaign against RMS is deeply troubling. Most people are
not involved with free software activism; at most, they've heard of
"open source", and there was already a lot of propoganda out there
suggesting RMS was some cranky nut who is unreasonable yada yada...
you know all this.

We are quite visibly under attack. I don't yet know any concrete
response to the situation that could resolve what is going on.

I do think that RMS should be reinstated though. Failing that, as I've
said, Alexandria Olivie of linux-libre is the perfect replacement for
RMS.

On Sat, 21 Sep 2019 17:47:53 -0700 Aaron Wolf <wolftune@riseup.net>
wrote:

> While I agree *completely* with the concern, the Linux Foundation is a
> 501(c)(6) with a stated mandate to serve the *business* interests of
> companies that use Linux. The FSF as a 501(c)(3) with a social mission
> to promote software freedom *is* susceptible to take-over, but it's
> not an analogous situation.
>
> On 2019-09-21 4:09 p.m., Leah Rowe via libreplanet-discuss wrote:
> >
> > On Sat, 21 Sep 2019 11:06:36 -0400
> > Miles Fidelman <mfidelman@meetinghouse.net> wrote:
> >
> >> Linus Torvalds, perhaps, as the next FSF President?  :-)
> >
> > You joke about this, but you should never assume that an
> > organization won't degrade in such a manner.
> >
> > For instance, the Linux Foundation and many similar bodies are
> > heavily funded and guided by Microsoft and other proprietary
> > software companies. In the old days, such a scourge was
> > unthinkable, and yet it is the reality today.
> >
> > We must always remain viligant against any and all forms of
> > corruption or regression that weaken the movement.

Leah Rowe <info@minifree.org>
Company Director & Libreboot developer
https://minifree.org/ https://libreboot.org/

Do you know you have rights?
The right to privacy, free speech, the right to read
and the right to learn. The right not to be spied on
and censored by the government.

Defend freedom. Use free (free as in freedom) software.
Spread freedom. Tell everyone you know about it!
https://www.gnu.org/philosophy/free-sw.html

Minifree Ltd, trading as Ministry of Freedom.
Registered in England, registration No. 9361826
VAT Registration No. GB202190462
Minifree Ltd, 19 Hilton Road, Canvey Island
Essex SS8 9QA, United Kingdom
United Kingdom