Re: [libreplanet-discuss] membership confusion, FSF way forward

From: Adrienne G. Thompson
Subject: Re: [libreplanet-discuss] membership confusion, FSF way forward
Date: Sun, 22 Sep 2019 11:06:16 -0500

   Daniel,
   It is my opinion too that the membership of the FSF board needs
   re-evaluation. I'm off to get some rest.
   Sincerely
   Adrienne

   On Sun, Sep 22, 2019 at 10:50 AM Daniel Pocock <[1]daniel@pocock.pro>
   wrote:

     Recent discussions show a lot of confusion about FSF (associate)
     membership.
     The FSF publishes[1] copies of the financial statements
     The 2018 filing[2] shows that FSF has only registered 7 people as
     voting
     members and the other 1466 people only registered as volunteers.
     Why
     the distinction?
     Given the scale of the recent problems, a change of leadership is
     not
     just about changing the president.  The existing board have
     supported
     the president through many years.  Any of them could have resigned
     at
     any time if they didn't agree with his leadership.
     Therefore, it is my personal view that:
     1. all the 1466 volunteers, associate members and any new volunteers
     who
     joined recently must be given equal voting rights.
     2. the entire board resigns and the entire organization is then
     engaged
     in the election of both a new board and president.
     The actual resignation date could be deferred until LibrePlanet so
     there
     is time for reasoned decision making.
     A new president alone doesn't mean much if the existing board or
     staff
     carry on doing different things.  It may take time to see just what
     success the president really has.  People may want to know who the
     president will be and what their platform is before deciding to
     renew
     membership or make further donations, it is too early to decide
     right now.
     Given the extent to which recent discussions demonstrate
     misunderstandings about membership status, it doesn't feel correct
     for
     the FSF to continue using the term "associate member", as this term
     and
     the marketing around it (phrases like "Renew your membership!")
     appear
     to be giving people an inaccurate understanding of their status.
     Regards,
     Daniel
     1. [2]https://www.fsf.org/about/financial
     2.