Re: [libreplanet-discuss] membership confusion, FSF way forward

From: Daniel Pocock
Subject: Re: [libreplanet-discuss] membership confusion, FSF way forward
Date: Mon, 23 Sep 2019 11:04:46 +0200

On 23/09/2019 05:18, Leah Rowe via libreplanet-discuss wrote:

> I take issue with this: there is the issue of vetting regular members.
> What if a bunch of members are present who do not share the FSF's
> hardline stance on free software?

If I understand correctly, RMS was always true to the philosophy and he
may well be the gold standard.  His resignation coincided with vocal
pressure from certain donors and partners.  So the importance of money
is already getting an edge over the importance of philosophy.

What you describe is a problem that is well understood and shared by
many organizations.  There are many articles and books about it, for
example:

https://sheilamargolis.com/core-culture-and-five-ps/the-five-ps-and-organizational-alignment/philosophy/

Going forward, do you think FSF will be more successful with a
fear-based approach or by exploring and consulting more widely on how to
ensure an enduring philosophy?

With 1500 voting members, RMS may have had a third option: calling for a
vote of confidence in his leadership.  Sometimes a vote carried by the
silent majority can be a powerful buffer against the loud criticism that
appeared recently.

Regards,

Daniel

--