Re: [libreplanet-discuss] membership confusion, FSF way forward

From: Daniel Pocock
Subject: Re: [libreplanet-discuss] membership confusion, FSF way forward
Date: Mon, 23 Sep 2019 02:00:22 +0200

On 23/09/2019 01:54, Adrienne G. Thompson wrote:
>    On Sun, Sep 22, 2019 at 6:19 PM Will Hill <[1]will.hillnotes@gmail.com>
>    wrote:
>
>      On Sunday 22 September 2019, Daniel Pocock wrote:
>      >  all the 1466 volunteers, associate members and any new volunteers
>      who
>      > joined recently must be given equal voting rights.
>      The next day, Bill Gates would have 20,000 Microsoft employees join
>      as voting
>      members.  For the low price of $40,000/month, Bill Gates would own
>      the FSF
>      and I'd vote by dropping my membership.
>
>    They wouldn't just be Microsoft employees either. All the corporate
>    empires could participate. There would be no need to take down the FSF
>    President in the manner in which they've done. The era of Free Software
>    (as we know it) would be over.

Having been a member of a number of organizations outside the free
software space, I feel these problems are over-exaggerated and can be
easily mitigated with the right strategies.

These problems are not new by any means.

The big problem for free software organizations is a DIY-culture: people
refuse to get outside help and insist on re-inventing the wheel.  Other
organizations in other fields of endeavour have solved these problems
before and FSF can learn from them.

I agree with your concerns, I simply don't agree that they are an
insurmountable barrier.

Regards,

Daniel