Re: [libreplanet-discuss] Moving Forward

From: A. Mani
Subject: Re: [libreplanet-discuss] Moving Forward
Date: Tue, 24 Sep 2019 05:09:37 +0530

On Mon, Sep 23, 2019 at 6:11 PM Matt Ivie <m0dese7en@mykolab.com> wrote:
> This is not the first attack to ever take place on a community or the
> figurehead of a movement. I think we all know that other important
> social movements have had their share of media-driven scandal. What is
> most important here is how we move forward.

+1

> What RMS said is being misquoted and misstated everywhere around the
> web. Those that were already overly critical of him just went
> supernova. This situation has made it hard to keep perspective of
> what's going on.

The misinterpretation part is hardly the problem. The bigger problem
is the number of reports on
RMS's misogyny, anti-feminist position and doings that have
accumulated over time. These were not so well-known before even within
the free software community before -- at most people invoked various
disorders to explain RMS's behavior. In one keynote, RMS's response to
a question was
"Oh wait you're a woman! I don't answer questions from women."
Furthermore there are ill-informed statements on feminism in RMS's
blog -- they mean RMS is still a slave of the patriarchy.

FSF will do well to highlight its commitment to gender equality and
feminist practices.

> There are some things in this situation that are not totally clear to
> me:
>
> 1) Is RMS still going to have any kind of interaction with the FSF?

Should FSF impose conditions on those who are associated with them?

> 2) I am unclear as to the motivation for his resignation. I'd like to
> know if he voluntarily resigned or if he was urged or forced to
> "voluntarily" resign?

Apparently it is voluntary. It is really a good thing.
The image of FSF would have been severely tarnished otherwise.

Best

A Mani

Prof.Dr.(Miss) A Mani
CU, ASL, AMS, ISRS, CLC, CMS, IEEE
Senior Member, International Rough Set Society
Homepage: http://www.logicamani.in
Blog: https://logicamani.blogspot.in/
Research Gate: https://www.researchgate.net/profile/Mani_A
sip:girlprofessor@ekiga.net