Re: [libreplanet-discuss] Moving Forward

From: Deb Nicholson
Subject: Re: [libreplanet-discuss] Moving Forward
Date: Mon, 23 Sep 2019 22:09:53 -0400

   On Mon, Sep 23, 2019 at 8:36 PM A. Mani <[1]a.mani.cms@gmail.com>
   wrote:

     On Tue, Sep 24, 2019 at 5:36 AM Aaron Wolf <[2]wolftune@riseup.net>
     wrote:

     > On 2019-09-23 4:39 p.m., A. Mani wrote:
     > >
     > > The misinterpretation part is hardly the problem. The bigger
     problem
     > > is the number of reports on
     > > RMS's misogyny, anti-feminist position and doings that have
     > > accumulated over time. These were not so well-known before even
     within
     > > the free software community before -- at most people invoked
     various
     > > disorders to explain RMS's behavior. In one keynote, RMS's
     response to
     > > a question was
     > > "Oh wait you're a woman! I don't answer questions from women."
     > > Furthermore there are ill-informed statements on feminism in
     RMS's
     > > blog -- they mean RMS is still a slave of the patriarchy.
     > >

     > Apologies for language pickiness, but I think what you're
     describing is
     > more like sexism than misogyny. RMS is a product of a particularly
     > male-dominated sexist tech culture within an overall sexist
     society.
     > Combine that with social awkwardness, and that's a pretty
     parsimonious
     > explanation for RMS' behavior.

     OK

   Yes, and a freedom movement -- a movement that seeks to empower people
   -- ought to be held to a higher standard. What is the point of building
   a better world that carefully maintains all of the sexism of mainstream
   (proprietary) software communities? The FSF is incorporated as a
   charity with a mission that definitely does not include "upholding or
   exceeding mainstream tech's sexism."

     > The claim that he holds overall anti-feminist positions seems
     inaccurate
     > to me from all I've seen of his stated views.

     Sexism leads to dismissal of feminist viewpoints

   +1

     > That question response quote is so extreme, the most reasonable
     > assumption is that it was said as a facetious joke. I have never
     > encountered that anecdote before, so I have no context. But taking
     it at
     > pure face value makes no sense to me whatsoever.
     That talk was terribly bad:
     [3]https://twitter.com/sh4na/status/1174034117077413889
     "Oh he was called out on it, for decades. There are many blog posts
     and mailing list threads calling him out on this particular incident
     and all the others. He never gave a shit about any of it, neither
     did
     his followers or the @fsf or the orgs inviting him to speak."
     Strangely this was not stated on Linuxchix website and elsewhere.

   Thank you for raising this. The recent (admittedly misreported) gaff
   merely brought to light what has been happening within the free
   software movement for years. We can't reasonably expect people to
   believe we are building a better, freer world without a strong
   commitment to an inclusive movement and that means we can't keep
   enabling and encouraging sexist behavior.
   Best,
   Deb

     Best
     A Mani
     Prof.Dr.(Miss) A Mani
     CU, ASL, AMS, ISRS, CLC, CMS, IEEE
     Senior Member, International Rough Set Society
     Homepage: [4]http://www.logicamani.in
     Blog: [5]https://logicamani.blogspot.in/
     Research Gate: [6]https://www.researchgate.net/profile/Mani_A
     [7]sip:girlprofessor@ekiga.net