Re: [libreplanet-discuss] Moving Forward

From: A. Mani
Subject: Re: [libreplanet-discuss] Moving Forward
Date: Tue, 24 Sep 2019 06:05:56 +0530

On Tue, Sep 24, 2019 at 5:36 AM Aaron Wolf <wolftune@riseup.net> wrote:

> On 2019-09-23 4:39 p.m., A. Mani wrote:

> > The misinterpretation part is hardly the problem. The bigger problem
> > is the number of reports on
> > RMS's misogyny, anti-feminist position and doings that have
> > accumulated over time. These were not so well-known before even within
> > the free software community before -- at most people invoked various
> > disorders to explain RMS's behavior. In one keynote, RMS's response to
> > a question was
> > "Oh wait you're a woman! I don't answer questions from women."
> > Furthermore there are ill-informed statements on feminism in RMS's
> > blog -- they mean RMS is still a slave of the patriarchy.
> >

> Apologies for language pickiness, but I think what you're describing is
> more like sexism than misogyny. RMS is a product of a particularly
> male-dominated sexist tech culture within an overall sexist society.
> Combine that with social awkwardness, and that's a pretty parsimonious
> explanation for RMS' behavior.

OK

> The claim that he holds overall anti-feminist positions seems inaccurate
> to me from all I've seen of his stated views.

Sexism leads to dismissal of feminist viewpoints

> That question response quote is so extreme, the most reasonable
> assumption is that it was said as a facetious joke. I have never
> encountered that anecdote before, so I have no context. But taking it at
> pure face value makes no sense to me whatsoever.

That talk was terribly bad: https://twitter.com/sh4na/status/1174034117077413889

"Oh he was called out on it, for decades. There are many blog posts
and mailing list threads calling him out on this particular incident
and all the others. He never gave a shit about any of it, neither did
his followers or the @fsf or the orgs inviting him to speak."

Strangely this was not stated on Linuxchix website and elsewhere.

Best

A Mani

Prof.Dr.(Miss) A Mani
CU, ASL, AMS, ISRS, CLC, CMS, IEEE
Senior Member, International Rough Set Society
Homepage: http://www.logicamani.in
Blog: https://logicamani.blogspot.in/
Research Gate: https://www.researchgate.net/profile/Mani_A
sip:girlprofessor@ekiga.net