Re: One word label for someone who rejects proprietary software

From: Roberto Beltran
Subject: Re: One word label for someone who rejects proprietary software
Date: Thu, 13 Feb 2020 22:08:55 +0000

   So what you're suggesting is... We identify as "freegan"? :P

   lol bro I wish, but I think that already means someone that eats trash
   or something

   "Libre software"  subtracts the ambiguity problem and trades it for the
   problem of being a mouthful for English-only speakers, with its
   awkward-to-pronounce loanword. "Libreware" still has the problem

   I'm lucky that I'm in Miami where there's enough of a Latin presence
   that I can usually get away with "Libre Software." In fact, I think I
   might start using "libreware"... thanks!

   With regards to awkward pronunciation though, people will sometimes
   hear "libra" or "livre", but that might just be me mumbling a bit
   sometimes.

   My favorite solution overall is "freedomware".

   I like this idea. I personally like the libre terminology because of
   what I mentioned prior, but I think for the rest of the U.S.A.
   "freedomware" would work great.

   Although at the same time, I've had experiences in real life where I'm
   bringing up "libre" or "freedom" and people still can't get past
   thinking about price without some more help.