Re: One word label for someone who rejects proprietary software

From: Leah Rowe
Subject: Re: One word label for someone who rejects proprietary software
Date: Fri, 14 Feb 2020 17:43:00 +0000

one word to describe someone who rejects proprietary software?

I have a few....
clever
genius
wise

Maybe:
democrat
libertarian

etc

i don't think it's useful to try to create such a single word noun
though

On Thu, 13
Feb 2020 21:42:07 +0000 Connor Doherty <cnnr_dhrty@live.com> wrote:

> So what you're suggesting is... We identify as "freegan"? :P
>
> Seriously though, it's bad enough that we don't even have a one-word
> noun for freedom-respecting software to begin with. 'Freeware' would
> be perfect, but it's taken. "Free software" is two words, perpetually
> ambiguous to newcomers, and doesn't even beat "open source" in number
> of syllables. "Libre software"  subtracts the ambiguity problem and
> trades it for the problem of being a mouthful for English-only
> speakers, with its awkward-to-pronounce loanword. "Libreware" still
> has the problem, and so does "libre" alone, which could concisely
> describe some software but can't be used as a noun. "Non-proprietary"
> has a bit of all of the above problems, and tends to shift the focus
> onto whether or not some software is proprietary rather than whether
> or not it is free.
>
> A pretty miserable linguistic sphere overall. We really shouldn't let
> this be a reason people end up using Open Source terminology instead.
>
> My favorite solution overall is "freedomware". I thought of it but
> then found out it's already been defined in e.g. Wiktionary, with the
> proper definition. It's just little known I guess. It matches the
> number of syllables in "open source" and beats the full "open source
> software". It contains familiar English words - one of which
> ("freedom") they may already have positive feelings towards
> (especially newcomers) but in a new context (-ware) that won't have
> them assuming they know what it means (like freeware). When they do
> ask, they ask precisely the right question for further advocacy
> ("Wait, what freedom?") and not intermediate questions ("what's libre
> mean?") or mistaken questions ("free? why should I avoid paid-for
> software?") or simply not asking, and assuming you're just cheap.
> Freedomware is also conveniently a perfect subset of its own
> definition, when you expand it to simply "freedom-respecting
> software".
>
> Anyway, just an idea. I submitted a LibrePlanet talk on this topic
> last year but didn't make the list. Still think it'd be a great
> reform for our mission. On Feb 13, 2020, at 14:47, Roberto Beltran
> via libreplanet-discuss
> <libreplanet-discuss@libreplanet.org<mailto:libreplanet-discuss@libreplanet.org>>
> wrote:
>
> Hey everyone,
>
> It occurred to me that there isn't really a good one-word way of
> describing someone who rejects proprietary software on ethical
> grounds. For example there's "vegan" for people who don't consume
> animal products on ethical grounds. I know there is a derogatory term
> that exists, and another which is specific to someone who agrees with
> RMS, but there is no general positive term that we could all use.
> Even a short phrase seems difficult because you could say "free
> software advocate" but you can reject proprietary software on ethical
> grounds without doing any advocacy.

> [...]

Leah Rowe <info@minifree.org>
Company Director & Libreboot developer
https://minifree.org/ https://libreboot.org/

Do you know you have rights?
The right to privacy, free speech, the right to read
and the right to learn. The right not to be spied on
and censored by the government.

Defend freedom. Use free (free as in freedom) software.
Spread freedom. Tell everyone you know about it!
https://www.gnu.org/philosophy/free-sw.html

Minifree Ltd, trading as Ministry of Freedom.
Registered in England, registration No. 9361826
VAT Registration No. GB202190462
Minifree Ltd, 19 Hilton Road, Canvey Island
Essex SS8 9QA, United Kingdom
United Kingdom