Re: One word label for someone who rejects proprietary software

From: Jean Louis
Subject: Re: One word label for someone who rejects proprietary software
Date: Fri, 14 Feb 2020 09:31:19 +0300

* C. Cossé <ccosse@gmail.com> [2020-02-14 05:16]:
>    On Thu, Feb 13, 2020 at 4:16 PM Thomas Lord <[1]lord@basiscraft.com>
>    wrote:
>
>        ... a system of proprietary software vigorously suppresses
>      voluntary
>         cooperation.
>
> Hi, your sentiment here, and others like it, always make me cringe
> because proprietary info and intellectual property are possibly the
> foundation of capitalism, and the companies that sell proprietary
> software are not out to suppress anything but to produce a product
> and make a living.  They do not see it the same way.  Nor "should"
> they.  Moral arguments with respect to software are vaccous.

Wow... I am surprised really. I think you are misinformed or lacking
information, I cannot assume you are making those statements with
intention.

Proprietary software is made specifically to keep users enslaved and
dependent, and in many cases it is used to spy on users, steal their
information, deceive them and defraud them all for profit and "to make
a living".

There are moral and legal ways to make a living.

There are immoral and illegal ways to make a living.

Surprisingly many proprietary software vendors have been already
legally punished various misdeeds.

I can mention PRISM:
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/PRISM_%28surveillance_program%29 -- so
what you think how is PRISM functioning? With proprietary software or
free software?

How about Whatsapp proprietary software? Recently it was used to crack
information from one of richest people in the world. It can be used to
obtain any kind of information.

> They do not see it the same way.  Nor "should" they.  Moral
> arguments with respect to software are vaccous.

They know it and they do not want to publicly see it. They know it
very well.

They should stop providing proprietary software as that is abuse on
users' freedom. Invoking unknown commands and unknown conditions and
handling users' information in unknown manner is abuse of users.

--
Thanks,
Jean Louis