Re: One word label for someone who rejects proprietary software

From: Lori Nagel
Subject: Re: One word label for someone who rejects proprietary software
Date: Sat, 15 Feb 2020 18:49:12 +0000 (UTC)

   I like the term freedom respecting software that someone mentioned.  I
   think, in some sense it makes more sense than free software, something
   that someone could easily confused with software that has no upfront
   cost (aka freeware), like for instance those "free to play games" with
   micro payments and no source code, or certain chat software that is
   popular and has zero cost, but doesn't supply the source code either.
   I'm not sure we need a word like vegan.  I mean, being a vegan can be
   problematic from a number of perspectives that would be more equivalent
   its more like someone like RMS who doesn't have a face book account,
   only uses a computer with a free -bios, has no java script turned on
   all the time, would rather get lost for days rather than use
   proprietary gps etc. Ironically, a lot of people like the Amish and
   people in the third world might fall into this category, not because
   they know and care about software, but because they either don't have
   or don't want access to it to begin with, (until they get a cell phone
   that is.)

   On Saturday, February 15, 2020, 2:00:24 AM EST, Caleb Herbert