Re: One word label for someone who rejects proprietary software

From: Richard Stallman
Subject: Re: One word label for someone who rejects proprietary software
Date: Sat, 15 Feb 2020 21:33:22 -0500

I think your analysis of the situation is valid, more or less.
However, I disagree with the ultimate suggestion that we focus our
disapproval on "alienation" of programmers from their work.  I think
this would have two bad consequences:

* It would appeal mainly to the personal interests of the programmer.
  This is more or less the same problem that the term "freegan" has,
  and more strongly.

* It would imply advocating things that we ought to oppose, such as
  proprietary software distributed by the person who developed it.
  That developer is not "alienated" from per work, but it nonetheless
  subjugates all other users.

--
Dr Richard Stallman