Re: Practicality of GNU project and libre movement

From: Davis Remmel
Subject: Re: Practicality of GNU project and libre movement
Date: Fri, 24 Jul 2020 15:44:25 +0000

Weber,

I'm going to pretend in this daydream there's actually $10M instead of $2M, and
I would spend $4M on a Chiat-Day-produced advertisement with some catchy slogan
like Get Free (something with lots of layers like a David Lynch-esque thing to
appeal for multiple viewings, showing off the best-working free software, and
quickly explaining the steps to Get Free (1. "Make a USB", 2. "Throw Windows
out the window", 3. "Get Free" -fast intercut IE throw in trash and get
Firefox- "Get Free" -fast intercut deleting MS Office and installing
Libreoffice- "Get Free" -fast intercut of angry Microsoft executives- etc.
-->"getfree.fsf.org") Set the ad to some catchy-but-indie music like "Can't
Keep Checking My Phone" (by UMO).

Then spend $3M on a 30-second Superbowl ad + various regional news stations for
continued broadcast for the next 4-8 weeks.

Then spend $2M to send 20 people to various college campuses, when classes
start again, with USB drives of GNU/Linux installers and little manuals

Use the last $1M to form an organization, a union, of free software developers.
Get collective clout among talented developers in key places (like US
government) and key IT people, to be able to say to their employers, "I'm
writing free software or I'm not writing software." This will likely result in
a strike, where union members storm the White House lawn and halls of Congress
to demand all US citizens have software rights, making an appeal to Liberty.
Collect union dues to make this organization self-perpetuating, and use the
clout to first win small victories (like using Firefox instead of IE on work
computers).

--
Davis