Re: Fwd: Improving the FSF in support to the GPL, RMS and staff

From: Yuchen Pei
Subject: Re: Fwd: Improving the FSF in support to the GPL, RMS and staff
Date: Sun, 04 Apr 2021 05:43:56 +0200

Julian Daich <julian.daich@freecomputerlabs.org> writes:

El sáb, 3 abr 2021 a las 17:51, Yuchen Pei (<hi@ypei.me>) escribió:

I don't see how a new CoC would help.

1. CoCs often include corrective actions.
2. When CoCs are binded to by laws they provide a framework of
expected behaviours, policies and for staff to unionize. An effective CoC is a decision of Board members and staff and less from members and
more  peripheral people,

I know that there are Board members and staff at this list. Maybe some
of them are reading this message.

We already have a Libreplanet CoC
(https://libreplanet.org/wiki/LibrePlanet:About/Code_of_Conduct)
and GNU Kind Communications Guidelines
(https://www.gnu.org/philosophy/kind-communication.en.html) etc.

CoCs in other organisations have been misused or ignored
(e.g. gnome foundation).

I mean institutional CoC, related to specific roles and binded to by
laws. None of the above is that. Thanks for the examples.

Shouldn't such guidelines apply to everyone regardless of roles? And why do we need a CoC bound by the laws? How do we make sure the CoC is not harmful like the Linux one, or abused, misused, or selectively enforced using vague languages? How do we make sure the inclusive environment is truly inclusive and does not harm free speech, and the diversity is truly diverse including neurodiversity?

Adding a new one also increases overhead but FSF is shrinking. It would better if instead FSF just enforces the current ones (libreplanet coc, gnu kind etc.).

Best,

Julian