Re: Were Intellectual Property to be abolished altogether, would you or

From: Paul Sutton
Subject: Re: Were Intellectual Property to be abolished altogether, would you or FSF support it?
Date: Tue, 13 Jul 2021 08:32:48 +0100

On 13/07/2021 08:18, Federico Leva (Nemo) wrote:
Il 13/07/21 00:37, Yasuaki Kudo ha scritto:
In a worker cooperative, there is one-person-one-vote democracy.  So I cannot just dictate that the Software Licensing we use will be GPL.

You can if you put it in the articles of incorporation or bylaws (depending on your jurisdiction).

Federico

With that sort of set up surely what you can do is present a strong argument not just ethically but also financially and technically for using free software, cite some good examples of where it has proven to be effective. Ideally that people can related to.

The internet runs on free software (well mostly) for example.

Libreoffice documentation is coming along nicely, which helps, do not assume people can simply pick up some software and just use it without help. In some cases are even just able to search and find the right information.

I think the idea of platform coops is something I suggested on social hub as a way to expend the fediverse, as in more people running their own server or have small groups doing so. They like the idea we, as with free software we need some sort of critical mass using it.

Paul