Re: FSF continuously harms Free Hardware

From: Richard Stallman
Subject: Re: FSF continuously harms Free Hardware
Date: Sun, 23 Jan 2022 23:33:57 -0500

  > Does it provide gerber (file that contains the PCB design and is used
  > for manufacturing), schematics (file providing wiring of the components)
  > and models for the chasis (e.g. STL files to fabricate the chasis on
  > e.g. 3D printer) under GPLv3-complying license?
  > - Yes -> Certify it as Free Hardware Design
  > - No -> Don't certify it

I understand those words partially.  "Wiring of the components" --
what are "components" in this case?  Does "components" mean "chips"?
If not, the hardware will, in most cases, still contain secret
circuitry--inside the chips.

The FSF group that handles much more than this
is short-handed and behind on its work.  I couldn't
suggest that they start anything new.

Would you like to set up s project to do this?  You know more than
they know about this task, and maybe you have time to do it.

  > Alternatively worst case scenario that takes the least amount of
  > resources that i can think of would be to rename "Respects your Freedom"
  > to "Respects Software Freedom" so that it's not taken as FSF endorsing
  > proprietary hardware development.

RYF deserves its name.  It checks for the freedom that users of the
computer can take advantage of, today and in the near future.
Having those circuit diagrams will not affect the freedom of customers
who buy the hardware.

Free hardware designs are desirable, and may be necessary in a
possible distant future, but not very soon.