Re: FSF continuously harms Free Hardware

From: Richard Stallman
Subject: Re: FSF continuously harms Free Hardware
Date: Mon, 24 Jan 2022 23:16:36 -0500

  > Your dismissive attitude about hardware freedom is indeed damaging,

Do I have a "dismissive attitude" towards "hardware freedom?
Do I have any one single attitude towards that range of issues?

I can't tell.  I don't know what range of issues you include in that
term, so I don't know what I would think of it.  All I can say is that
I agree it is good you got the info needed for supporting the T400s (or
any other computer model) with free software -- and I see that as
part of the Free Software Movement.

If you explain in a few lines what issues you include in "hardware
freedom", I could see what attitude or attitudes I have towards those
issues.  They may be quite different from each other.

  > You outright reject the term "free hardware" but the free hardware
  > movement already exists.

I'm sure their hearts are in the right place, but since "free
hardware" (or "open source hardware") is not well defined,
I'd need to know what views that stands for before I could agree
or disagree (or partly agree and partly disagree).

It's possible you and I could agree on a set of goals, but I might
disagree with using the term "free hardware" for them.  Perhaps
we could agree on some other name.

  > Stop seeing criticism as a threat. Listen to people, they want to
  > help!

That's disrespect and emotional bullying,
You can't convince me of anything that way.  The way you might
be able to do it is by treating me with respect.

I thought carefully about various issues related to hardware to work
out the ideas that I wrote in /philosophy/free-hardware-designs.html.
Perhaps a part is mistaken, obsolete, or can be improved on.  That's
why I pay attention to the issues and arguments people bring up here.

But I'm not going to change my views on the issue because someone is
adamant, or because of emotional pressure.  I've stood up to lots of
that.