Re: FSF continuously harms Free Hardware

From: Leah Rowe
Subject: Re: FSF continuously harms Free Hardware
Date: Tue, 25 Jan 2022 14:06:10 +0000

On Tue, 25 Jan 2022 13:14:16 +0000
Jacob Hrbek <kreyren@rixotstudio.cz> wrote:

>  > Modifying *integrated circuits* is virtually impossible -- Leah

(I clarified in a follow-up email that modifying the final assembly is
hard, but that the verilog and such are more practical to modify. I
didn't address fabrication though, in previous emails)

> I disagree on that. From my experience it's very possible, but it's
> usually not economical as people lack the infrastructure and knowledge
> to develop those at home, where crowd-sourcing and outsourcing the
> fabrication to a 3rd party is feasible e.g. what DarkRISCV seems to be
> leaning towards [https://github.com/darklife/darkriscv]
>
> I agree that verilog files (basically custom C-inspired programming
> language used to define the internal wiring of integrated circuits
> such as CPU, example on
> https://github.com/darklife/darkriscv/blob/159eb623cc47249cd6fa066571499dfdb9da3bcc/rtl/darkriscv.v)
> are very important for hardware and software freedom.

I've bookmarked this. Thank you for showing it. I'm interested in RISCV.

> And i want to also highlight that the production of custom CPUs is
> very possible and somewhat economical and in terms of the EU In
> germany BOSCH invested in major semi-conductor
> factory[https://www.bosch.com/stories/bosch-chip-factory-dresden/] and
> with
>  Taiwan (who has majority of semi-conductor market share) making
> their own factory in
> lithuania[https://www.taiwannews.com.tw/en/news/4388461] so it's
> projected that the economical cost of production for these chips will
> significantly drop in the next 3 years.
>
> FWIW to make it understandable to people who are not familiar with the
> subject i see integrated circuit development accurately represented in
> Minetest's Mesecons[https://forum.minetest.net/viewtopic.php?t=628] or
> allegedly Rubystone [https://forum.minetest.net/viewtopic.php?t=17402]
> (or proprietary minecraft redstone) if that helps anyone understanding
> the development process.. Basically you have a pulse that in set
> amount of time reaches set amount of conductor lenght that you then
> work with.
>
> Video showing the development of 8-bit computer in minetest's mesecons
> for reference: https://redirect.invidious.io/watch?v=tVAcJHHmkIA

This is really cool. Thank you for linking all of these.

Europe getting its own fabs is also great.

--
Leah Rowe <info@minifree.org>
Company Director & Libreboot developer

Do you know you have rights?
The right to privacy, free speech, the right to read
and the right to learn.

Defend freedom. Use free (free as in freedom) software.
Spread freedom. Tell everyone you know about it!
https://www.gnu.org/philosophy/free-sw.html

Minifree Ltd, trading as Ministry of Freedom.
Registered in England, registration No. 9361826
VAT Registration No. GB202190462
Minifree Ltd, 19 Hilton Road, Canvey Island
Essex SS8 9QA, United Kingdom
United Kingdom