Re: FSF continuously harms Free Hardware

From: Jacob Hrbek
Subject: Re: FSF continuously harms Free Hardware
Date: Wed, 26 Jan 2022 19:25:06 +0000

> For example, under this definition, what about a wooden chair? They
usually are not designed with Gerber files, Verilog files, and don't
have built-in firmware on chips (at least not yet until someone makes
them "smart", the thought of which I shudder at). -- Hsing

Anything released in a way that complies with four freedoms should be
considered a free hardware, where in terms of a chair you would be
probably using a Computer Assisted Design ("CAD") files e.g. FreeCADs.

I am providing an example of a modular planter that i am currently
working on in attachments.

On 1/26/22 14:20, Pen-Yuan Hsing wrote:
So would a wooden chair not count as "hardware" or not something the
people on this list care about? This is not a rhetorical question, I'm
just trying to clarify how broad you want your definition to apply. If
your definition is only about, for example, digital/electronics
hardware, that is fine. But I think the term "free hardware", or
variations
thereof, would be too broad and misleading.

--
Jacob Hrbek