Re: FSF continuously harms Free Hardware

From: Leah Rowe
Subject: Re: FSF continuously harms Free Hardware
Date: Tue, 25 Jan 2022 13:18:17 +0000

On Tue, 25 Jan 2022 13:03:20 +0000
Leah Rowe <info@minifree.org> wrote:

> It's only in the last 40 years that things have gone down-hill. In the
> 70s, you could open up your electronics and there would be schematics
> showing you how everything was put together. It's possible that
> you could send in a device for repair, but you could do it yourself
> too. Your neighbour Jimmy could do it for you. This is no longer the
> case.

By the way, this problem (lack of ability to repair) is not just with
computers, but many other things aswell. Cars, appliances, you name it.
Louis Rossman recently did a video on this about the hot water heater in
his new home:

https://vid.puffyan.us/watch?v=mgTlFaHTFrI

Richard, I'm advising you to actually watch a bunch of Louis Rossman
videos on the subject of Right to Repair. He may very well convince
you. His channel:

https://vid.puffyan.us/channel/UCl2mFZoRqjw_ELax4Yisf6w

He does macbook repair. I know, Apple is evil right? The fact that he's
fixing macbooks isn't important (it just pays his rent), but he is
fighting to restore the repair culture that used to exist in the world.
The idea that, when you purchase something, you own it.

I think his Right to Repair movement is no different spiritually than
Free Software. It's the same kind of mentality, and the same kinds of
people. In fact, people from our movement often get involved in right
to repair, and vice versa.

The connection already exists. My priority is to strengthen that
connection because, for reasons I previously explained, I think it's
critical to software freedom.

--
Think for yourself. Live free!